Mt. Diablo Landscape Painting Number 9 Completed


"A Path On Mt. Diablo"
18" x 14"
This is the 9th of 12 Acrylic Landscape paintings to feature Mt. Diablo in a series. I began painting number 9 on Thursday, May 7 2009 with a thick coat of Gesso. Then I mixed all the colors I would need before beginning the painting. I added a layer of brown and rendered the trees lines with green. To get the mountain shapes in the distance, I used a dry brush lightly coated in green, then grayish blue, and white. I really enjoy showing the subtleties; like the way the atmosphere reflects its sky blue light in the cast shadows on the ground. I always learn something new about painting as I explore different ways to use my brushes and paints to define light and forms in each painting. As the painting gets closer to completion I stand back try to get a sense of the mood of the painting. I ask myself, "what does this painting need..."
It might be that the shadows need to be darker or lighter, or more of a highlight on the edges of the trees to show that the sun is on them keeping them warm and happy. But if I want to communicate a sense of danger or anxiety in the painting, I might consider a different tactic, such as the way I painted "The Cliff Edge of Mt. Diablo."

Comments

Popular Posts